Preparing your home for winter or seasonal storms is serious business. If you don’t take the necessary precautions, you can expect some equally serious damages and costs.
In Australia, there have been many incidents of roof damage caused by storms. While most Aussies look after their homes pretty well, the roof can present a rather baffling range of issues that some people aren’t familiar with. We’re going to give you some pointers about preparing your roof to explain the issues and the fixes.
The Roof Problems Checklist
The typical problems with roofing are:
- Roof exterior surface: Weak areas that look out of alignment on metal roofing or like gaps in shingle roofs. The risk leaks, where one heavy rainstorm can turn your home into a swamp.
- Roof exterior internal structure: See any discolouration in your ceiling panels or on the walls? These might be minor inconspicuous symptoms, but they mean water is leaking somewhere in the structure. Leaks can also damage insulation, which might need to be replaced.
- Guttering: Guttering, particularly old guttering, is highly suspect. Clean out your guttering thoroughly and be prepared to do some hard work if required. Run some water down the gutter and make sure there are no leaks. Leaks from gutters can also be internal. Check ceilings for signs of discolouration.
- Downpipes: Downpipes can get clogged by debris, which naturally means the water backs up. This can cause flooding. Don’t guess about your downpipes. If there’s any hint of obstruction, they need fixing, or in extreme cases, replacing.
- Flashings, particularly repairs: Flashings are your leak protection. They can deteriorate over time, particularly if you have ground movement or debris impacts from trees. If the flashings look worn, or gaps between other surfaces appear, they need to be fixed.
WHAT TO DO ABOUT ROOF PROBLEMS
Even if you’re a good handyperson/DIYer, it’s strongly recommended to get professional roofers to fix the problems. Superficial problems may be hiding much bigger issues underneath, and those problems can’t be fixed by DIY methods.
It’s a false economy to do patch jobs when you need proper fixes. Any roofer will tell you that your leaky roof is a recipe for real trouble. A significant leak can cost you tens of thousands in interior damage and repairs. This is a case of “prepare for the worst”. Any serious issues with the roof, roof structure, guttering, and downpipes can cost you a fortune with one heavy rainfall or storm.
Call your local roofing suppliers and installers if you need work done. This will give you:
- Instant access to expert advice and help
- Accurate, reliable costing of any work that needs doing
- Better prices because suppliers can deliver good value up front in materials costs
Call One Stop Roofing for Help with Roof Problems
We hope you’ve found this information useful and of practical assistance. If you’d like to call us for some help with your roofing in Sydney, phone One Stop Roofing or contact us online. We’ll be happy to provide all the services you need.